- Pierce the squash with a knife several times so it
doesn't explode or cut in half and wrap each cut side
with plastic wrap.
- Microwave it for 10-15 minutes
(if your microwave doesn't rotate,
make sure you turn the squash every few minutes).
It should be tender when you take it out. Be careful
since it will be really hot.
- If you cooked it whole, let it rest 10 minutes, then split it.
- Remove the seeds, then scoop out the strands and put them
in a bowl.
Separate them with a fork to loosen the strands.
- Add whatever pasta sauce you like to the squash strands-- some good
- cooked sausage and greens with ricotta
- tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms, green peppers, parmesan
- I haven't tried this with the squash yet, but will this week:
- Saute 3 cloves of garlic in 4 tbsp. butter
- Add a pint of split Sungolds, cook until reduced.
I smash the larger tomato halves.
- Add 1/4 c. cream. I also like to add a tbsp or two
of sherry or vermouth to cut the cream
- Add salt and pepper-- cracked pepper is really good here.
- Add 1/4 c. packed basil that you've shredded and a handful or two
of parmesan. Take off the heat, mix well.
- Put the sauced strands back into the squash shell and bake in the
oven until heated through (and crusty on top, if you like).